Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 2006 E350. Back in January of 2015 my battery died

Customer Question

I have a 2006 E350. Back in January of 2015 my battery died all of a sudden. I had not driven the car for about 2 weeks before I drove it to work that morning. The problem started in the evening when I was about to go home and the ignition light won't come. I had AAA jumpstart the car, however a dash warning came on "low battery conven. function temporarily unavailable". This subsequently fixed itself and I drove with the same battery for some months b4 I decided it's better to replace it. About 2 months later the car got stuck in park. I let it sit for about 1 month and again it corrected itself and released. I drove it for about 2 months and now its stuck again. Please advise if this is an electrical issue?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello. How often do you let the car sit without driving it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes for up to 3 three weeks, but most regulary driven at least twice a week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its been sitting for over one month now since it's stuck in park. I notice that the "low battery conven." warning is back even though I've been starting the car at least every week. BTW the car has about 60,000 original miles.

Ok I appreciate the reply. Can I get with you later today ? In currently at a family function and would like to help you out with the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok

Thank you I really appreciate it

Ok so if the car sits longer than a week then the battery in the trunk will drain and also the battery in the engine bay. Now the rear battery is the main battery for starting and driving of the vehicle. But the engine battery is the accessory battery which is pretty much anything inside the interior that will function that does not have to do with safety. So it's common to see the "convenience functions offline" in your scenario. The engine will have to run and voltage stabilize before it will charge the auxiliary battery (engine bay ) so if you do start and run the car for only a short time the battery will not have time to charge adequately. Does this sound like your scenario?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but the main problem is that the shifter is stuck in park.

Ok , start the car and press the brake and have someone check to see if the brake lights come on

also there is a emergency release I will show you so you can get it out of gear

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the break lights do come on, I checked that already.

Ok , great. If you put your hand on the shifter can you feel a slight clicking when you press the brakes ?

For the manual release open the center console , you will find a small hole inside the compartment , the hole is on the right side of the console , it's not in the bottom it's more on the face of the inside of the console , use a pen and slide it into the hole and you will feel the release of the shifter. So when you are pressing it in you can pull the shifter out of gear

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you can feel the clicking , then push the shifter forward as much as you can and then press the brake and wait for the click and then see if it will come out of gear. If not the shifter solenoid bracket has broken and that's why it won't come out of gear.

Here is a image of the emergency release.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that and it didn't work. As you may recall this happened previously and shifter came out of park after about 2 months. If the solenoid bracket was broken would that still be the case?

It's a weird design it may just be sticking because of the sitting. Also temperature affects it also. You can also press the brake and wiggle the hell out of the shifter to shake the release loose. , did you see my link for the release ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try the emergen cy release tomorrow as it is late to start doing that now. It's 11:20 here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried wiggling the shifter, no luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't think it could be the transmission module? or even the plastic bracket that everybody is complaining about?

Ok. I think you hopefully will get lucky and after using the emergency release it may free up the shifter to continue working. If you feel the clicking then the issue will be the shifter will need to be replaced. I know it's late and I appreciate you giving me the chance to assist. I will be here if you need me. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

The bracket is internal and we don't repair them. I think some companies are out there that do that but in the dealer we just replace the shifter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Lou. So far I think you've been very good, but I'll wait until tomorrow to do the rating. Thanks.

That's ok. FYI rating does not end this chat. So no worries either way. I'm here to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the emergency release, no luck. I even opened the shifter area and took out the knob. I saw what looked like a black bracket that moves up and down. I suppose that's the release, I was hitting with a pen. It still did not release. Should I hit the shifter with a mallet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

The mallet trick is only for the S class and SL but you can try for sure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But why did the emergency release not work for me?

That is honestly the first time I have ever heard of it not working since it's totally a mechanical linkage and bypasses the solenoid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could the car being parked in a little bit of a slope be a factor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I unassemble the whole console and shifter area completely do i stand a chance of releasing this thing? And don't worry about time because if I get this thing released you'll be rewarded handsomely. I just don't wanna give up now.

Well once you can see the release lever you should be able to press down on the lever and pull back the shifter. If you are parked irregular then while pressing down on the lever pull the heck out of the shifter see if it releases. If not then it's up to you if you want to take apart the shifter and remove the interlock. There bay actually be videos on YouTube on people doing so. We don't at the dealership do this so there are no instructions but I do have instructions to removing the console if needed but you also have to get under the car to remove the shifter rod from the bottom of the shifter.