Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Haydn here. E240 1998 on start engine cranks 1 second 2 or 3

Customer Question

Hi Mike, Haydn here.
E240 1998 on start engine cranks 1 second 2 or 3 times, then will start.
No problems after up and going.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hi I am sorry for the delay it has been very busy on our end. So does the engine make a loud screeching noise when it does not start ? Does it seem to want to start really quick and die before it continues running ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No strange noises, just the 1st part of normal startup. Sounds like partial engine turnover.

Ok there was a huge issue these years in a few models with the flywheel getting some rust on the teeth and when going to crank it the starter binds and when it releases the flywheel speed increases for a split moment to the computer thinks the engine started when it actually did not. So the first thing I suggest trying is to apply antiseize to the flywheel teeth. I'm not sure about your model engine but the other model v6-v8 have a small plastic cover to pull off the front lower bellhousing of the TRANS or the back of the oil pan to see the flywheel. If not you have to remove the starter. And apply antiseize to the teeth and then turn the engine by hand and apply again and repeat until almost all coated. Eventually if you cost 1/4 of the flywheel and crank the engine all the teeth will get lubed by the starter eventually. But that should do the trick. Try that first and let me know and if needed we can continue. But this sounds EXACTLY like the issue in the same chassi but different engine combinations. Let me know. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.