Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

988 420 sel recently had lower control arms and lower ball

Customer Question

988 420 sel recently had lower control arms and lower ball joints replaced ,shocks replaced tires balanced vibration in steering wheel at 64 mph and up it gets better at 70 but does not go away. it is intermittent sometimes it vibrates sometime not My mechanic suggested upper control arm replace ment ? could it be driveshaft or mount problem
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, if the vibration is felt in the wheel and not felt in the seat of the car the problem will be confined to the front end. Most of the time a steering wheel vibration comes back to a wheel balance issue. I'd double check the balance and make sure that the tires are round. Loose steering linkage or a bad steering damper can attribute to the vibration. Make sure that the linkage is perfect and the damper is good. Also make sure that the wheel alignment is correct. Improper alignment can cause a wheel vibration. Any looseness in the steering or the control arms can cause vibration. If there is looseness in the upper arms I'd replace them but if they are tight I don't think it will change anything.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty