Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I'm locked out of the trunk of my 1996 Mercedes C280. I

Customer Question

I'm locked out of the trunk of my 1996 Mercedes C280. I purchased the car used, it apparently ahd deer damage to the trunk, and the trunk lid was replaced, so the blade key does not fit the lock. I only noticed this after the electrical system suddenly developed a fault and the ignition lock locked me out and set the alarm.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
That year did not come with an emergency release inside the trunk as they were not mandated until a few years later. So with a key that doesnt fit the lock cylinder, you will need to have it drilled out and new lock cylinder that tumblers are keyed to your key.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks