MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

PETE My 2006 ML 350 has always had it's check engine light

Customer Question

HI PETEMy 2006 ML 350 has always had it's check engine light on. Shortly after I purchased it used in 2010, it came on.
I've rebuilt the transmission, that worked for a while
then, rebuilt the engine, that worked for a while
now mechanics are telling me it's the control module or wiring harness..what can you tell me about this car that the check engine light always comes back on
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm currently looking a selling it, if the repair costs are more than 2000, however, it seems that even after I fix whatever problem is wrong and the gods turn off my light, i know it will come back on. I'd like to keep the car, but I'm at it's mercy, which is where I think Mercy'des' gets it's name...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Help. what should I do at this point, if it's the control module, or wiring harness, I'm told by a reputable local mechanic that those parts have to be replaced by Mercedes, is that correct, due to the antitheft programming? In your opinion what should I do?
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

lol, quite the story, what is the code? from the check engine light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what code?

well if the check engine light is on, there will be a fault code indicating why the light came on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i only have what the car repair place told me...let me see if I can find the report

ok, ill wait

check engine lights can come on for 1000 different reasons, as since yours is a first year of production ML i can tell you that that model has had many issues , they worked out the bugs around 2011. but the first year was problematic.

the codes start with a "P"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm calling the car place that looked at it for me..they did't give me a report.

ok, i have to leave for a few , but i will get emails when you respond, so no worries i will reply back, Lou

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure, no worries
Ok. Great.