Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

500 Sel 1987 euro Car wouldnt start! Replaced fuel pumps,

Customer Question

500 Sel 1987 euro Car wouldnt start! Replaced fuel pumps, filter and accumulator! Ran fine at first but now after it has run for awhile and you stop hard to start. Sometimes if you leave key on for a while, then it will start. Sometimes I've had to prime
it.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I need more info. Does the car run fine until you turn it off? Is this car used regularly? Why did you replace all of the parts that you listed? Did you use the OEM Bosch pumps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replaced because pumps were bad, not working! Being Im already doing this might as well replace folter and accumulator. This is my work car and driven everyday. One pump is identical to original the other had to use auto zone aftermarket. Have checked and both pumps are working. Car runs fine when on.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
If the car ran fine prior to the pumps going bad and if you are sure that the pumps were actually the cause of the no start in the first place I'd replace the Autozone pump with a Bosch pump. The aftermarket pumps are usually not compatible. As long as the fuel pumps run when you turn the key to start the car I'd say the Autozone pump is not flowing enough fuel through it. If the pumps are not running when you crank the motor you will need to replace the fuel pump relay.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty