Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I plan to buy a Mercedes S500 W221 2005 or 2006 gasoline

Customer Question

I plan to buy a Mercedes S500 W221 2005 or 2006 gasoline with less than 100,000 km on the meter. What should I should watch out for - any well known problems - diseases - any particular places to look for rust? Thanks in advance!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
The w221 did not come out till 07 and I highly advise against any year before 2010. Especially with the abc hydraulic suspension. Other than that make sure the car has service records and road test it before hand. The cars are very reliable just get the air suspension and not the first few years of production. The 07 was the WORST by all means. Hope this information helps. Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Lou. Apparently I got it wrong then. What is the W-type then for year 2005 and 2006 (which is still the model I am interested in) And my question is then still the same for this model.
W220 and those are the BEST years to have lol. Never ever buy the first model year of any model but always buy the last model year of any model , and the same still stands do not go for the model with the hydraulic suspension which are usually the AMG models but other than that the only thing you really have to watch out for our suspension issues as far as that air struts and the occasional control arm bushing and ball joints, those really are great cars. Always watch out for bent rims you won't see the bends on the outside but on the inside of the rims they are always bent and will create vibrations when driving on the road or wear tires funny , other than that the engines and transmissions are extremely reliable. Technicians love these cars. They are easy to diagnose and easy to repair and there are plenty of aftermarket parts to assist , Hope this information helps. If you have anymore questions please feel free to let me know Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you. Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am posting this question for the second time since the answer I received the first time was not quite fulfilling. Hence I would like a second opinion. Please make it available to other Mercedes Experts.
I plan to buy a Mercedes S500 W221 2005 or 2006 gasoline with less than 100,000 km on the meter. What should I should watch out for - any well known problems - diseases - any particular places to look for rust? Pls. let me know if you need to elaborate more on the questions. Thanks in advance!Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/98p5r-plan-buy-mercedes-s500-w221-2005-2006-gasoline.html#ixzz3idA0MfCD
did you not see my second reply ? I elaborated on the w220 model you were looking for. Let me know , maybe we can chat live for better explanation ?

I did not realize you were from Denmark. My apologies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No offense. I am looking for the W221 model 2005 or 2006 - not the W220.