Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

2005 Sprinter Motorhome conversion w/3500D (2.7L?) Mercedes

Customer Question

2005 Sprinter Motorhome conversion w/3500D (2.7L?) Mercedes engine:
Engine will not start/turn over; had been driving with no problem. Sprinter (Grand Rapid MI) told me to turn on key/foot on brake/and cycle through gears--from P to D to N and back to P. Engine started right up. No problem for several days. I was driving (50MPH) and noticed on the display that D had disappeared and that something was flashing just to right, but could not make out what it was. Motorhome hit a bump in the road and the D came back on and the flashing to right disappeared. No engine light was on or any other warning light on the dashboard. Again, no repeat of problem for several days. Drove back to the storage facility with the idea of making an appointment with someone (Dodge Sprinter dealer) to look into this issue.
I went back to start the Motorhome and same problem--won't start. I will have to be towed to dealer or maybe Freightliner repair to have looked at. Any ideas what could be the problem?? Ignition, Starter, Solenoid, Sensor, Gear Shift Changer?? Or What??
I was hoping to have someone with Diagnostic Testing Software come to my location, but can't seem to find anyone with this capability. Any information on this issue would be greatly appreciated. M. Abbott, Dearborn Michigan
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is going to be a bad transmission range sensor, and is common on these, the range sensor tlls the computer what position the gear shift is in, and if it does not se park or nuetral, it will not allow it to start, also, if the "D" went blank, this further verifies a bad sensor, Tim

Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. The issue is with the gear shifter itself. The shifter is a module and is prone to failure. When they told you to shift through the gears it was to partially clean off the contacts or to jar the sensor to read correctly. Your van does not have a trans range sensor. The shifter is a module. Have the shifter replaced. That will take care of your issue. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

the range sensor is built into the shifter, but yes, it does have one,Tim

If you get me your vin I can get you the part number for the shifter.