Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a MB 400SE 1992 it is in shop now I just wanted to

Customer Question

I have a MB 400SE 1992 it is in shop now I just wanted to know if it is worth fixing
this car after changing MAS, Cam sensor Crank sensor, ref sensor, engine heat sensors, engine wiring harness, fuel pumps, fuel pump relay, cat convertor, Distributor caps+rotors Ignition coils, Ignition Module, fresh air sensor before airfilter, O2 sensor.The check engine light says defective O2 sensor which I already changed. This car shakes when gets warm to 70-80 Degree C idling jumps from(###) ###-####up & down eating too much gas. The spark plugs get sooty very quickly.Camshaft seals have been replaced as well. After 4 hours of checking by the shop tech, they say it is a misfire cylinder 1, 5 & 7. It could be wiring harness in the dash? is it true? Do I have to pay for the hours they are spending on it to trouble shoot by law?
The car is 106789 miles on ODO Meter.
Please help!
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also Cam Magnets on both sides
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Unless you have it in writing from them that diagnostic time is free, yes, you have to pay for the diagnostic time by law, whether you elect to have it repaired or not. A shop has to pay the mechanic for their time in diagnosing it, whether it is 1 hour or 10 hours. Their time is not free. And your vehicle ties up a bay that could be utilized making money on other repairs, as well as the mechanic diagnosing it could be working on other vehicles. So if you decide not to pay, they have not only lost that income, but also lost income opportunities they turned away in order to focus on your vehicle.
Some of the wiring from the onboard computer going to the engine is behind the dash going from the computer thru the firewall, so yes it is possible that this is the cause of the misfire.