Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My GL450 is leaking coolant and the battery light came on.

Customer Question

My GL450 is leaking coolant and the battery light came on. And he said the steering is tough. We just got a NEW pump installed a month ago. New trans and CV boot. Etc. got oil changed 3 weeks ago. They said everything was good. Coolant level was low. But not to worry. I'm worried because My husband is 2 hours away from home. I'm 9 not ha pregnant and scared he will get stuck. We don't know what the problem is.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** the battery light came on and the steering became hard most likely the serpentine belt has come off. Your husband cannot drive the car in this condition. He will need to have the car towed to the nearest Mercedes service center to have the belt and the pulleys inspected and replaced as needed. Usually one of the pulleys fails and causes the belt to come off.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck won't cut on anymore. Is it still a possibility for the serpentine belt?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
most likely the battery has died because the alternator was not turning. Hopefully he didn't keep driving the car and damage the motor.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Marty