MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

My c280 1998 AC is blowing cold on left side and hot on

Customer Question

my c280 1998 AC is blowing cold on left side and hot on right side at same rime center is not blowing at all
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Was the cabin air filter checked?
was the freon pressure checked?
As both are very common causes for a one side cold A/C as you're experiencing (amongst other faults, but these would be the first to check)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think something is wrong with the blower vent trap doors because no air is comming from the center vents and the air from right side is warm and the left side vent is cool. The vents at bottom of the windshield are same hot on right and cold on left. seems like the vents at the windshield are blowing all the time Cold on left hot on right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
neither were checked, how do u check the cabin air filter? The AC return line is cold and sweating, if the return is cold the condenser must also be cold, if it is cold the air should be cold on both sides unless there is a split condenser one for each side rt and left/, and why would the middle register not blow at all?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
There could be a problem with the doors, but first we need to check the filter and pressure.
The cabin air filter is located under the dash, precisely under the glovebox.
There's a rectangulr cover, or trim below the dash, that needs removing, so the filter can be pulled down. Check this out and get back to me with the results.
If the return is cold, the condenser should always stay HOT. But i believe you are refering to the evaporator, which is inside the car.
Sometimes, the evaporator is freezing on one side, and merely cold on the other side, which is not enough.
AS for the middle vent, you need to start by checking the wheel on this (on the dash), for checking the air volume getting from it, see if this works.