Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

ML350: , I read the post and I have similar problem on my

Customer Question

Hi, I read the post and I have similar problem on my 2007 ML350. Lift gate works manually only. Fuelgage was stop showing anything it stays on Zero all the time. I did not have problem with battery and when I took to Dealer they offered to repair fuel gauge $1800!!! unbelievable. Do you think it is sensor in the fuel tank? I dont think two problems are related
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Most likely the issues are both tied together. There is a module called a rear Sam that controls both the fuel level signal and the rear door activation signal. If you open the right rear panel door in the hatch area you will see a fuse box. Look down from there and there is the rear Sam. Unplug the plugs and check for water intrusion. That is very common. If not the rear Sam is still the number one suspect. That is most likely the issue. Is this what the dealer said ? Let me know I Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lou thank you for getting back to me.
I believe it is sending unit in the fuel tank.
Door was a problem
Before fuel gage and it would work one day and not the over.
Fuel gage first was going up and down as it was pleased sometime showing 3/4 full all the time.
But know it is not moving from empty at all and acting like dead.
I read about lot of lost talking about Sam
But everyte it looks like both problems rise at the same time. It is not a case in my situation.
Is it possible to change Sam my self?
Or it needs special programming ?
Thank you
If you change the Sam with a used one from the same vehicle you can get lucky and plug and play. If you buy it new then you have to program it from a dealer. Our fuel level sending units are pretty good and I can't say I have ever had one fail. It has always been a Sam module. It's possible the rear door control unit is at fault also it's on the left side of the hatch area along with the hydraulic cylinder. You can access it and see if there is moisture or corrosion either in the module or the cylinder power wires let me know if you need more help. I'll do my best. Lou
I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you this kind of job cost to repair?
I think $1800 is just outrages.
Well what exactly where they quoting for 1800$? Do you have the estimate in detail or just a total ?