Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

GL 550: I have a GL 550, a message came on reading compressor

Customer Question

I have a GL 550, a message came on reading compressor cooling down. I turned the vehicle off. The next day I drove, but never saw the message again. This was on Monday evening around 7 pm
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** message will appear if the air compressor for the Airmatic suspension system is overheating. The compressor will overheat if it runs excessively. If you did not try to raise the ride height in the car and you received this message it usually indicates that there is a leak in the air suspension system and the air compressor is having to run too often to keep the suspension at the proper level. Another possibility is that the relay for the air compressor is sticking and not turning off the air compressor. If you continue to get the message I would have the suspension system checked for leakage. If no leaks are found I would replace the compressor relay and see if you still get the message. Ultimately the air compressor may need to be replaced.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty