Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

C280: I just purchased a 2006 280 with 80,000 k. One day after

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2006 280 with 80,000 k. One day after purchase it starts making a wining noise as you rev it up from idle.sort of like the sound of steering pump low on fluid would make.but it's. Not that. I Toole it back to the car lot their mechanic said it was just age.what a joke help.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. The Noise is a few different things.
1- water pump
2-power steering pump or fluid
3- idler pulleys
Since you car has age I'm willing to bet your idler pulleys and your water pump bearings are worn causing the noise. The idler pulleys were extremely common to fail on these engines. The easiest way to check is to remove the belt and run the engine for a few minutes without the belt and you will see the noise ceases. You can grab the top and bottom of each pulley with the exception of the ac compressor and power steering pump and see if they wiggle up and down. If they do they are faulty. A distinct whine noise IS NOT normal. Hope this information helps. If you need more info let me know I will do my best to assist. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.