Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Ml270: Our temperature gauge has got a mind of its own now

Customer Question

Our temperature gauge has got a mind of its own now .what could be the problem
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Kindly explain further: does it stay at cold, does it flicker, operate intermittently etc..?
do you have any other problems: fans staying on, warning lights or messages on dash etc..?
The problem would be either the temperature sensor, the wiring, or the instrumenct cluster, however, get back to me on these so we try to pinpoint the culprit.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The temperature gauge is all that's wrong . He stays in one position , could be half way up or right round the other side , once it's there it doesn't move
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
The most likely cause for this would be a faulty instrument cluster.
I would first remove the cluster, check the wiring connectors at its back. If, having checked the connectors (tight and clean contacts are required), the problem persists, then the cluster would require replacing. But you can also check: http://www.bba-reman.com
as they should be able to fix or remanufacture your existing unit at a fraction of the price.
Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
Regards,
Billy