Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

280SL: just looking to understand if a late '70's to early

Customer Question

just looking to understand if a late '70's to early '80's 280SL with manual tranny is a good car to collect
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, if you are in the US this would be a W107 "gray market" car. The car was never imported into the US by Mercedes. In my opinion this is not as desirable as a US model 450SL, 380SL or 560SL. The car is basically the same as the US models but with the M110 straight 6 engine and the manual transmission. The M110 engine was reliable and the manual transmission rarely ever gives trouble. The A/C system on this model was usually the manual climate control as opposed to the automatic climate control that you see on the US models. I would not be too concerned about the reliability if the car passes a pre-purchase inspection but I don't think the car has any special collectible value here in the US.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty