Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

ML320: 2001 Mercedes ML 320. The electric Cooling fans are

Customer Question

2001 Mercedes ML 320. The electric Cooling fans are not turning off even after a hour.
When I unplug the fans and let the car sit for an hour or more,, the fans will still come on before I start the car again?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** you unplug the fans do they still come on after an hour as soon as you plug the fans back in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes.... I unplug the fans... once....for 2 hours... and did not have the problem until 8 weeks later..
now... it started again.... I can understand if I was driving a long time in TEXAS heat... this has started
at temps of 85 or less....and driving less then 2 miles...I just went out to the car after 9 hours... ie. no driving...no heat.. and the fans came on... when I reconnected
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you probably have a shorted cooling fan relay. The relay is located at position K26 in the fuse and relay box under the hood on the driver's side. Replace the K26 relay and you should be fine. You can probably swap the relay with another identical relay in the relay box as a test.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty