Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I bought a 2011 e350 with 40,000 mi. The sunroof has been taking

Customer Question

I bought a 2011 e350 with 40,000 mi. The sunroof has been taking in water from the beginning. I have had the drains cleared by a service shop, it continues. Is there a recall for this model?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello , there is no recall or bulletins , why do you think it is the sunroof? Where does the water build up at ? Is it after a rain or car wash ? What has been done so far besides clearing the drains? I can help you through this. It may take a few back and forth messaging but water issues are typically pretty easy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you apply a water hose, you will see nothing, but car wash and rainfall brings it through the sunroof
Ok , that is good Info thanks , what area of the interior does the water come down at ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is leaking across the front of the sunroof, mostly. It's my wife's car, so I'm going on where I see most water stains.
Ok , I need you to close the glass and see how flush the glass is with the roof. Also open the glass and you can see the holes for the drains on the left and right of the front of the sunroof. So you can use a few cups of water and pour individually and see if any one of the drains back up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I sent over a service offer. I will be free a little later tonight for a live call or anytime during the week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If the holes are the ones I think, water runs straight thru into the interior of the car. Are these hole underneath that metal strip?
They are pretty decent size holes , the sunroof channel flows right Into the corners where the drains are at.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These holes are not in the corners. Thee are no drains located in the corners
I wish I had a clear picture to show you. Let me see what I can find. I'll try and get something for you. How long have you had the car and when did this problem occur
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had it for 9 months. It's been doing from the beginning. We originally thought we left the sunroof cracked
ok, im in search of some pictures for you. thanks for the patience and info.
heres a picture of the drains, its the parts picture, it looks as if the only drain in the front is now on the drivers front side, my apologies, i have not personally doen one on the new body style and i hate to misinform, ill get you the instructions to remove the pillar to check the drains.
here are instructions, the pillar should be similar to the c class body, the panel just pops off, and slides, out, then you can check the drain for clogs or anything, hope this helps.