sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

S430: I have exactly the same problem.My girlfriend owns

Customer Question

I have exactly the same problem.
My girlfriend owns a 2003 S430. When driving at night, It appears that her headlights do not light up the road far enough in front of the vehicle. Only when she puts on her high beams does the lights seem to illuminate the road properly.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are a few things that could be going on.
It's not likely but it's possible that it could be a bulb issue, either due to age or the incorrect bulbs being installed. Whether there are other problems or not, depending what is already in it, you can usually upgrade to a higher intensity aftermarket bulb for brighter light and further projection.
It could be an aim issue. If the lights aren't adjusted correctly then they may be shining too low or high causing poor visibility. This is one of the first things that should be checked.
It could be a poor power or ground causing the bulbs to light dimly but that isn't that likely.
Another possible cause would be oxidation of the lens. If the lens is hazy then it will cause visibility problems. Usually the lenses can be refinished rather than having to replace the headlamp assemblies.