Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

C180: I have a 1997 ci80.first thing every morning when i start

Customer Question

I have a 1997 ci80.first thing every morning when i start the car i have to keep my foot on the accellerator to keep the car from cutting out.the revs rise and fall sporadically even with the pedal to the floor and the car coughs and splutters.This goes on for about 3 minutes after which the car runs like a dream.I serviced it about 1 month ago and problem started 2 weeks after that. i would be grateful for any advice john
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
There two very common failures that would cause this:
- a faulty throttle actuator
- a faulty MAF (mass air flow sensor
I would start by checking the connectors on the throttle actuator and on the MAF, make sure i have clean and tight contacts then i would proceed by cleaning the throttle body, using WD40 (or equivalent) and a toothbrush.
Then i would learn the throttle end values as following:
- switch ignition on for 60 seconds
- switch ignition off for 10 minutes
- switch ignition on, and start the car
PS: other problems might exist such as faulty temperature sensor, wiring, or even engine control module, however those two are the most common for exactly the symptoms you are getting.
Try these, get back to me with your results, or if further assistance is needed so we proceed accordingly.
Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
Regards,
Billy