Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Ml350: I hear an intermittent squeeking coming from the front

Customer Question

I hear an intermittent squeeking coming from the front passenger side. It usually occurs when coming to a stop or going over a speed bump or making a right turn. I've taken it to my dealer 3-4 times but they can not hear the noise. I took it to a brake specialist and they noticed the noise immediately-- I didn't mention anything to him about the noise. He checked and said it was the rocker arm. Sooo I took it back to the dealer and he said the rocker arm is ok and they still can't find the noise. I am beginning to think they are screwing with me. It is a 2011 ml350 with 45000 miles. I have the extended warranty. I am planning on taking it back to the brake specialist and have him show me the exact problem and videotape it and then show it to the dealer. Do you have any suggestions? Is this a common problem with the ml350? Thanks for any advice you can share with me.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. It is very common for the lower ball joint to squeak intermittently over bumps and on turns. The control arms are not likely to be the problem unless the upper ball joint in the upper control arm is squeaking. The steering tie rod ends can also squeak but when you get the squeak over bumps the noise is almost always going to be coming from the lower ball joint. Your idea of documenting the noise so the dealer tech can see the problem is a good one.Let me know if you have any questions.Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope to hear from the Dealer today. I will let you kow if they’ve already done what you suggested.Do you have any less obvious suggestions for them to check out?Best,Wayne
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wayne, there isn't really a lot up there that it can be other than a ball joint, tie rod sway bar link or a bushing. Aside from that you would look for any metal chafing against something. The hardest part for them may be in duplicating the problem. If they can reproduce the noise in the shop they should have no trouble locating it.
Let me know how you make out.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention the Brake Masters guy said all four tires are out of alignment. Could that be a symptom of the problem?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I doubt that the squeak is directly related to the tire wear if the wear is on all 4 tires. The most common cause of that would be running too little or too much air pressure. A 4 wheel alignment should be performed as a maintenance but the noise should be addressed first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They already sent me a survey.