Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

S500: I am just browsing my suspension has gone . One day

Customer Question

I am just browsing my suspension has gone nuts. One day the rear does not raise today it is the right front. Been told the pump may be bad. It is 2001 S500
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** the suspension is lowering itself when the car sits you have leaks in the system. If the rear is dropping or the right front is dropping there will most likely be leaks at those particular suspension struts. Leaks in the system can eventually ruin the air compressor because the compressor has to run excessively to keep the car level. The first thing that should be done is a leak test of the suspension struts. If the suspension lowers when the car sits the leaks have to be fixed first. Once the leaks are repaired the compressor may still need to be replaced.Let me know if you have any questions.Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is weird. The back will stay up for days. Then it will not go up at all when the car is running. Then in a few hours you go back to the car and the rear is up, and will stay up for days. One day none of the suspension would go up. Now 3 sides of it go up.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I'd first address the one side that won't go up. It sounds to me as though you may have a combination of leakage from one or more struts along with a weak compressor. The compressor relay should also be replaced. You might want to do that first to address the intermittent problem but the one low corner sounds like you have a leak in that strut.Let me know if you need anything else.