Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

560 SL: my 1987 560 sl satrts on high idle 1500 or so when

Customer Question

my 1987 560 sl satrts on high idle 1500 or so when i turn it off pull dte key out and start again the idle iz normal.now i when i turn the key on and pull it out for few seconds and turn ignition on the idle is normal when engine is worm it starts normal idle most of the time?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is*****'m not understanding your question. Can you please describe what it is that you are trying to repair?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cold engine starts at high RPM(around 14-1500 RPM) When i switch to off position and remove the key wait for few second and start again the Rpm Is normal(around 600 rpm) When engine is worm it starts normal idle ,most of the time. sometimes it takes longer to start and it is usually rough and low rpm
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I'm still not understanding what it is that you are having a problem with. It's normal for the engine to start with a high idle when it is cold. As the engine warms the idle will drop to 600 rpm. What exactly are you concerned about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the problem is the idle does not drop to 600.it stays high until I turn it off and start again then idle drops to 600
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, since the idle does go down to 600 - 650 it tells me that either the idle control valve is sticking or that the idle control valve is being told to stay open or the throttle linkage is sticking or out of adjustment. There is a closed idle switch on the throttle body that could be out of adjustment. I'd start by checking the closed idle switch and cleaning the throttle body and checking all of the linkage to be sure that it is moving freely. If the idle switch is out of adjustment the idle will stay at 1500 rpm. It's also a good idea to disconnect all of the links and put a little white lube in each socket and put a drop of oil on all of the linkage pivot points. If you continue to have trouble I would suspect a faulty idle control valve. You can remove and clean the valve with some carb spray and it might help.Let me know if you have any questions.Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marty,
I am out of town and will not be able to do what you suggested. But I will when I get back in 10 days or so.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
OK, let me know if you need anything please don't forget to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for my help.