Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Professional, I recently seen a 1986 420sel in a garage And

Customer Question

Hello Professional,
I recently seen a 1986 420sel in a garage
And it hasn't been started for years. 54,000 miles and interior is like new paint
is nice to dents.
I'm just curious as to the costs of getting
It running. New tires tune-up, spark plugs, oil and transmission fluid etc would
be worth it. Owner is asking 3899
Would it be safe to try and start it after some priming or no?
Thank You - Paul G.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul, my name is***** the car has sat for a few years there is a very good possibility that the entire fuel injection system will need replacing. This can run in the neighborhood of $2500 - $3000. The CIS fuel injection system on this model does not do well with old fuel rotting in the system. I would go ahead and check the motor oil level and see if you can prime it with a little starting spray in the intake and get it running. If it won't stay running on it's own you can plan on replacing the fuel system. That's your biggest concern. The rest of the car should be fine with a little fluid maintenance. The brakes might need some work from sitting but the fuel injection is the bigger concern.Let me know if you have any questions.