Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2008 R350 4matic. Recently noticed the rear end sagging

Customer Question

I have a 2008 R350 4matic. Recently noticed the rear end sagging after getting out of work. When I go to unlock the vehicle, it begins to make a noise under the right front under the hood and begins to rise. When I start the engine it says "too low to drive wait" this alert goes off and the car returns to the appropriate height.
This just started occurring. I am planning a vacation 3 hours away and would like to know if I should take another vehicle instead until we can take to shop to get checked out. This problem is intermittent and does not happen all the time. Thank you
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** would not recommend driving the car on your trip. Your car has developed a leak in the rear air suspension. Right now the leak is small enough that the air compressor is able to raise the car back to normal height when you start the car. Eventually the leak can become worse and the car will not rise at all. In that case the car will be completely undriveable. You should get this repaired before your vacation or take a different car. Let me know if you have any questions.