FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

GLK 450: Key fob will not start the my 2013 GLK when inserted

Customer Question

Key fob will not start the my 2013 GLK when inserted into the ignition.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Can you tell me what the GLK does when you try starting it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dashboard lights up. I remove the ignition button and insert the fob, depress the brake which feels harder to push than normal, and turn the key to the right. No response by the car.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. It sounds like you might just have a dead battery. If the battery is low then some of the circuits will work but the starter will not engage. I would check the battery and even try jumping it to see if it will start. If it still does not let me know and we can continue to see if something else it going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the blade key to open the door and the alarm went off. I inserted the fob into the ignition and the alarm would not cease. The fob battery is dead but not the vehicle battery.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
The alarm scan still go off if there is voltage in the battery, but if the voltage is not high enough then the computer will not allow the starter to engage. This is why the battery needs to be checked first. If the system is not picking up the signal from the key this can occur also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have it towed to MB tomorrow morning.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
For the sake of cost hopefully it is just the battery. It may need a new key, but From what you are saying I am thinking the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem. Have a great night.