Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Mercedes 300sl: how do you change a valve cover gasket on a

Customer Question

how do you change a valve cover gasket on a 1984 Mercedes 300sl?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. Are you looking for factory work information ? The valve cover gasket is extremely easy. It's just a bunch of 10mm bolts. If you get me the vin I can get you the factory instructions Lou.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WDBBA45ADEA004578 is the VIN. This is my wife's pride and joy. Also who would be a good source for a gasket. we went to auto zone and they told us they could get one. Would they be a good source for the gasket. Additionally, is there any danger of breaking any of the parts attached to the valve cover when disassembling for removal. Also what prep work will need to be done while replacing the gasket. will any adhesives or sealants be needed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also are there any torqueing patterns to assure the valve cover is tightened evenly to assure it doesn't leak.
I will answer all of your questions and provide part numbers also. Give me some time to gather the info. Thanks , Lou.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** think the information you previously mentioned previously will be sufficient. If there is anything else that you think of just include it in the response.
Well if the oil leak is on the front of the engine it's not the valve cover. It's the engine front cover and cam solenoid that leaks. BUT you have to take the valve cover off to do them. Also no autozone please. Order from Benz or eBay Benz gaskets. Aftermarket do not hold up. Garbage. Unless you want to do them over and over again. Also the front cover is silicone sealed. It really is a easy job. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
If you feel you need any more info I will do my best to help. Also usually add a dab of Indian head shellac to the valve cover so the gasket sticks in it when turned upside down to reinstall. Hope this information helps.
Keep in mind that for Experts to receive credit for helping you must click the rate your answer box. Please take a second to do so and let me know if you have any more questions. I will do my best to help. Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil leak is on side of engine. Oil is leaking on the exhaust manifold and down the side of the engine on the rt. side. The area under the valve cover is wet with oil just above the exhaust and it appears to be dripping down the side of the engine. Is the front cover a part of the valve cover and will it have to be removed to change the valve cover gasket. Also noticed the oil filler cap seems to be leaking very badly as well. Would it be possible this leak is running down the side of the valve cover to the exhaust manifold and the gasket be OK. The oil filler cap gasket is very hard. Any recommendations? Also, thanks for the supplier info.
Yes , yet the oil cap first. Valve covers on these models were not common even though you have some age on it. The oil cap seal usually gets brittle or weak so absolutely try the least expensive thing first. Oil can leak and the fan can blow the oil back making a small oil leak seam large. Advanced auto also can get worldpac parts which is a euro parts type company. Just don't use victor reinz. They are garbage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** replace the filler cap to see if this stops the leak. If this does not stop the leak, what all has to be removed to change the valve cover gasket. If you send me the factory instructions, as previously mentioned, that would probably be all the information I would need.
Ok wasn't sure if you wanted them after the other response. I will send them for sure. Lou
here is the link for the valve cover gasket.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/qce0qxw3po9a9ua/129_sl300_cylinder_head_cover.pdf
copy and paste the link and let me know if you need anything else. Lou Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Keep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou.
here are the instructions, not sure why they did not post before my apologies.Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉Keep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou.