FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

C: I have a 2012 C Class with 70K miles. About 5-6 weeks ago,

Customer Question

I have a 2012 C Class with 70K miles. About 5-6 weeks ago, I went through some water and the car died. About an hour later the car started up. Took the car for service the followng week and the service dept said NO PROBLEM. Two weeks later car had a hole in the engine and required a rebuilt engine. Within a 1.5 weeks, car would not start. Service said that the SAM needs to be replaced. Questions - could the SAM have been affected from the water? Could the SAM have been affected while the new rebuild engine was being put into the car? How can I be sure that water did not penetrate the circuit of the SAM control unit?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me about how deep the water was that you drove through?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just hit the bottom of the car & I drove for 200 feet
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If the water just hit the bottom of the car then it should not hurt the engine at all. It should not be the reason that the engine has failed. As for the SAM, this water can definitely affect the SAM. It is very common for deep water such as this to get into the floor area of the car and damage the SAM.