Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

SL500: 2005 r230 sl500 - I had a worn set of front seats in

Customer Question

2005 r230 sl500 - I had a worn set of front seats in mine, and there was an 04 SL that was wrecked in the front (lower under dash airbag deployed) with a perfect interior. I had everything swapped out, but have the SRS - Drive to Workshop light on. I had it hooked up to MB scanner, reset everything, and it came right back on. The MB scanner reported:
Code 9183 - The resistance value in the ignition circuit containing component R12/1 (Driver ETR ignition squib) its too high.
I've read online and see where people just say to clean the lower connectors, etc which I assume is not the case, esp since the car that the seats came out of were in a collision where the front airbag deployed. That said, the seatbelts work fine, have tension lock like they are supposed to, etc. I'm assuming there is a very direction reason for the SRS light. Looking for assistance for this potential DIY project. FYI I still have the original seats as well in case a part is needed.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. There is a bulletin for this issue. Mercedes came out with replacement ETR yellow connectors that replace the current ones. All early SL bodies had this issue. So you will need to buy the replacement kit from Benz. Hope this information helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did see the bulletin about that previously, but most info I see references a different issue when their has been an accident and the airbags deploy. At that point, I guess one of the "squibs" have been triggered - in this case, in the back of the seat. Thoughts?
No the code definitely relates to the connectors, they come in a pack of two. For both seats. The code would be different if deployed. I'll try and get you the bulletin and parts numbers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are these what you are referring to? http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/R230/MBZ_R230_INTSTS_pg1.htmAgain - just trying to figure this out for myself...people in a MB forum directed me to this when I first asked the question on there, but this seemed to typically not be tied to a collision situation where an airbag deployed. Many people apparently "cleaned" the contacts on those connections, or replaced them per the part above. That said, since I only have the driver seat code, and the driver's airbag was the one that deployed in the collision, how likely is it to just be the under-seat connector vs. blast in the seat belt retractor or something, with the collision as a factor?
Yes this number
Connector Wire Kit for Seat Belt Receptacle (Front Left)
Brand: Genuine Mercedes
Part Number: 230-540-58-05-M22
That is them. Correct