Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

E-320: Pete....my teenage son drives a 1999 Mercedes E320,

Customer Question

Hi Pete....my teenage son drives a 1999 Mercedes E320, handed down by his grandfather, and showing its age. We had $1600 of repairs done a month ago, and yesterday, transmission seems to have gone. Won't shift out of first gear, loud noises. Had it towed to our nearby, regular service shop -- very fair and reliable, but not Mercedes specialists -- and they just called me with $3100 estimate to replace transy. Wondering A. Is this a fair price, and B. Is it worth putting this amount more into this vehicle? Possible other fix? Thanks. Steve
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve, the price is fair if they are rebuilding or replacing the transmission with a rebuilt. If they are installing a used transmission the price it too high. You might not need to replace the transmission for this problem. The usual problem is faulty speed sensors in the transmission. I'd ask them how they determined that the transmission needed replacement. They should scan the transmission computer for fault codes and see if there are codes stored for the speed sensors. If there are you might only need to replace the electronics plate in the transmission. It's about a $900 job. I'd also ask them if they pulled the transmission pan and inspected for metal debris and black soot. A little debris and soot is normal. If there is a lot of metal and a lot of black soot it might be time for a transmission.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty