Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

380SL: I have a 1981 mercedes 380sl thta won't stat without

Customer Question

I have a 1981 mercedes 380sl thta won't stat without mannually opening air flow sensor. I have changed the fuel pump, fuel distributor and fuel pressure damper. Any suggestions
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry for the wait on this question. The first thing to do is to see if the fuel pump is running when you crank the motor without pressing down on the air flow plate. If the pump is not running you need to check the adjustment of the safety contact in the air flow meter. If you disconnect the blue plug on the air flow meter and the pump runs and the car starts the problem is that the air flow sensor plate is not moving far enough to turn on the fuel pump when you crank the motor. If the pump is running when you crank the motor without pressing down on the plate the problem is most likely a bad warm up regulator or incorrectly adjusted fuel mixture.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty