Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Sadan: 1992 300.e 2,6 letter ingine I broke one of the bolt

Customer Question

1992 300.e 2,6 letter ingine I broke one of the bolt that hold down the egr, valve can it b extracted or I have to replace the exhaust manifold
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was changing the E,G,R valve one bolt that pin down the valve broke can it ,b, remove
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, you should be able to center punch the broken bolt and drill it out. You just need to be sure that you drill it in the center and don't go so large that you ruin the threads. You will need to break away the pieces of the bolt as you drill it or you can drill it out completely and install a heli-coil thread insert. If any part of the broken bolt is sticking up you can try using vise grips on the bolt and turning it. Spray the bolt with some PB Blaster to help loosen it. It's pretty awkward trying to drill back there are the back of the manifold. It would probably be best if you removed the manifold to drill out the bolt.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vacum holes set up for both air pump an, EGR check valve on 1992, 300,E Mercedes Benz 2, 6 letter, Engine aidleing high fail smog test once
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Did you ever get the broken bolt out of the manifold?