Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Sl 500: My 1994 Mercedes sl 500. Will idle min than

Customer Question

My 1994 Mercedes sl 500. Will idle for 10 min than stall out. will not restart till it cools.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car was running hot 100 deg. for a while never over heating. replaced the water pump. let it idle and 10 min. it stalls out. After it cools same thing 10 min. and shut off. 80 deg. on the gauge. Had the same problem prior. shut the car and go shopping come out in 15min. car would not start. Is there a temp. sensor that may be picking up the wrong temp. and killing the eng?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, you need to see if you have spark from the coils when the car won't start. If you have no spark I'd say that your ignition control module is failing. A bad crankshaft sensor could also cause the problem. If your sensor ohms out good when the car will not start I'd try a used ignition control module. The sensor should ohm out between 600 - 1200 ohms.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI. Spark module sounds about right. What's the chance one of the coils are breaking down.?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
The car would still run with one bad coil it would just run on 4 cylinders. This sounds like a bad module.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Marty
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question. Do you need anymore help with this?
Marty