DBAutomotive
DBAutomotive, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  8 years experience as automotive technician, Mercedes-Benz Master Certified Technician
51780121

E500: I have a 2006 e500 which makes a clunking noise when

Customer Question

I have a 2006 e500 which makes a clunking noise when turning at very low speeds. changed fluid in power steering but no help. does not make noise when standing still and turning wheels either direction
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  DBAutomotive replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Dan.I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. Is your vehicle 4matic? Does the clunking noise only happen when you turn the wheel one direction? Do you hear the noise primarily from the front or from the rear of the car? I am more than happy to assist you in figuring out the source of this noise. It might be necessary for a visual inspection and hands on touch of the suspension components to verify the defective part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a 4matic. it makes noise in either direction. noise is in the front of the car
At this point your options are limited. You would need access to a hoist and it would be best to have the vehicle taken to a Mercedes Specialist, if not them then a European Specialist, if not them then a all wheel drive/4 wheel drive specialist. 4matic has a differential up front and without touching and listening to isolate individual components it is almost impossible to diagnose the noise over the internet. Just about any mechanic can put the vehicle in the air and do an inspection to feel for worn/loose/damaged components and road test with you so you can point out the noise to them. Verifying the noise with the mechanic on the road test is key. They will need to pay attention to when and how the vehicle moves when the noise is made. This will eliminate suspension and drivetrain components depending on if the vehicle is going over a bump or loading or flexing left/right, on acceleration, etc.