Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Marty, I purchased a new steering wheel, and used spiral

Customer Question

Hi Marty, I purchased a new steering wheel, and used spiral contact as it was worn and he area was filled with metal shaving. Can you give me step by step instruction on what is installed I what order including and washer and greasing locations.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. Could you give me your vin please ?
You did not specify the year and model so the vin would be best. Thanks ! Lou.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.I requested another tech. I would like to continue with my trusted mech. Marty.
Ok marry may be on vacation , he has not been responding since Friday I noticed. That is why I entered the chat. I will do as you wish but Me and Marty due work together at times to assist customers. If you check my history you will see I go to great lengths to assist customers and will not stop until you are satisfied.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Art, sorry for the confusion. I was away over the 4th but I'm back now. I've attached some instructions below. The column should be put together dry. No grease is required. Let me know if you need me to explain anything.

Replace Clockspring
Center The Clockspring
Install Upper Bracket

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Marty I have 2 questions as I am trying to replace the steering wheel which was dissambled. I will post each question seperately in this questions: 1) I purchased a new airbag/horn spring contact and installed it.. but it seem some of the contacts are not spring floating, they seem to be stuck receeded into the housing. Is this correct. I will attach 2 photos. If its bad can I fix it, or do I need to purchase another one and what are these really called so I can find it at a part store.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2) Question - I have a part that was lose and I am not sure in what direction the ring should be installed in? Also there is a lot of goop on the steering nub which I am cleaning off because it has metal shavings. What type of grease should I add and where?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Art, I think they only use two of the brushes. Can you send me a picture of the back side of the brush holder? The ring you are holding is for the turn signal canceling. The nub points downwards towards the column. I would use white lithium grease on the steering column. I would not use very much at all, just a little on the shaft.