Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

320 Kompressor: My daughter is stranded with a wet smart key

Customer Question

My daughter is stranded with a wet smart key that won't work. She can get into the car with the manual key but how can she start the engine manuualy??? HELP
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. Has she had any luck ? Sorry no one has responded as of yet. Does she have a second key ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Ok , sorry to hear , well I don't have any good news but There is a small chance to get the key to work. Most likely when the keys get wet they are done for. I have heard of some people taking apart the internals and cleaning the circuit board. In rare cases that had helped. But she will have to go to the dealer and have a new key ordered. They are ordered by vin and require no programming. The key will cost about 280$ if I remember correctly. And she will have to show proof of ownership with a licens and a registration card. Do not waste time with used keys off of eBay or craigslist. The keys CANNOT be reprogrammed. They are made for specific cars and will not work for that car. I really Hope this information helps. I always recommend customers always have 2 keys for scenarios like this. The pro of the electric key is that the car is virtually theft proof. The con is the situations like these that happen. Let me know if this sheds some light on what needs to be done. I know he scenario is not good but the outcome is what it is. Lou. Oh and besides this I hope you guys have a good holiday. Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can help with. Lou.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was able to open and dry out the key. It works now.
Ok great news ! If I was helpful at all please take a second to rate my service and please
Request me in the future if I can be of any help. I always respond right away and will do my best
To help. Lou