Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

380sl: 1982 380sl. ignition won't turn with key. tumbler difficul

Customer Question

1982 380sl. ignition won't turn with key. tumbler difficult to remove..tried drilling it out but metal extremely hard....how to remove tumbler? Larry
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. Larry even if you still out the tumbler the steering lock will ratchet out and lock the column. What you need to do is saw off the whole steering column lock. That is the assembly that snaps into the column and has the ignition lock tumbler and everything inside of it. So don't waste time drilling. Cause you will still need to do this. I'll upload a picture of what I am talking about.
https://www.mediafire.com/?yu8e7hvpkuvcd8q
copy and paste that,. you will need to cut the lock off at the long shaft that connects into the column, when you look down there you will see a small pin that is what holds the lock into the column, well if the switch cannot turn to the position to release the pin the it has to be cut off as close to the column as possible and then all the internals will just fall out , hope this helps. let me know if you need more information, i will do what i can to help, i will even send over a phone offer if that helps. Lou. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Keep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou.