Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

500 SL: I own a 1993 Mercedes 500SL with an aftermarket FAB

Customer Question

I own a 1993 Mercedes 500SL with an aftermarket FAB fiberglass front bumper. I'm getting guff from Texas DPS about not having a front license plate. The bumper is constructed in a way that blocks access to its front part from the rear. Any ideas on this, especially without drilling the bumper (it really is cool looking as is)
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less.does the bumper have the recess or access for the tow hook ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't recall such but will have to get back to you in a few minutes as the car is out for a bit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think there is any setup to tow from the front. The few times I have had it on a car carrier it was loaded rear first
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are two heavy steel tow points in the opening of the bumper, each about a foot and a half from the center of the bumper
Ok there should be a hole with threads is there not ?
Here's what I'm getting at. Google "hidden license plate " and "toe or tow hook license plate frame" there are two options for you that we use on euro cars especially Porsche. I'm trying to remebr if your year had a threaded hole in the front for this type. Take a look and see if one of these will work for you. If not let me know. Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tow loops are solid and have no threaded holes
ok gotcha, have you seen the motorized license plate bracket? if not they sell brackets that bolt under the bumper and can wrap up around to the front that way you dont screw into the bumper.