Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

S500: I have a 2003 s500 and the instrument panel lights up

Customer Question

I have a 2003 s500 and the instrument panel lights up but the key fob will not turn to start engine !!! What do i need to do to fix it
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
First, you need to check for any blown fuses, and replace as necessary.
Next, i would check the ESP control module, make sure the connectors have clean and tight contacts.
If not, clean using some contact cleaner spray, make sure it's clean and dry, and refit the connectors. Then, try starting the engine.
If the problem persists, having checked all these, then you would need to plug a scan tool (star scan would be the best on this model) to try and retrieve the fault codes, which should give us an idea on where the problem is, so we can check and repair/replace as necessary.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, so we proceed accordingly.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The key fob also does not turn to start the car. What do I do to try to fix it?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Sir,
As indicated above, i would proceed with the diagnostics as following:
As we need to pinpoint the culprit, before starting to replace parts at random.
Regards,
Billy