Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 1998 sl500. when I open the drivers door with the

Customer Question

I have a 1998 sl500. when I open the drivers door with the top up my window comes down slightly then closes after the door is closed.
My problem is that some times it wont reclose. If i open the door and reclose the door with the window power switch held in the up position it will start working again. It works fine for a while then does it again. Can you help?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. Sounds like the window motor is losing synchronization. This may be due to a few things. Low battery voltage , a failing window motor or a failing convenience control module. Most of the times it's the window motor or voltage issue. It would depend on the passenger window if it does the same. If it does the same then it is a voltage or control module issue. If the voltage is fine and the car cranks nice and healthy then it would be a control module issue. If it cranks slow and seems weak then I would have the battery checked. Hope this information helps. Let me know if you need further info. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The passanger window works fine.

Ok then it's most likely the drivers side window motor. Hope this information helps
the window motor electronically stores the position of the window, so the control module knows when to lower and raise it, when the motor loses the position then obviously the window will not lower when the door is opened. this is a common issue and i have personally seen this before and thats why i came to the conclusion of the window motor being the issue .I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will absolutely continue to help if you need follow up information, all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may receive my credit for assisting you, i appreciate it, Thank you , Lou.Keep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou.