Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Marty We still didn't figure out the problem with this

Customer Question

Hello Marty We still didn't figure out the problem with this car? can you help I had already paid thanks my cell(###) ###-####
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####Hello is there anyone available for Mercedes tech help thank you.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry to hear that you are having trouble. There is an additional service charge for direct phone support. I've sent the additional service agreement if you would like me to call you. I can also help you here in this format if you wish.
Let me know.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Are you available? I have the 300sl 1993 no spark no power to ezl, power to coil
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, can you let me know what has been done so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the crank sensor bosch original and the ignition switch, swapped a coil, plugs cap rotor..overload protection relay, checked battery, whats next alarm???
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I need to know how you are doing your test for power at the EZL and the coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
three wire plug at ezl key on terminal 3, m
I think we can start over if you are available? 4:22
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty backed up at work but I have a little time available. The 3 wire connector at the EZL is not the power input. That connector is for the knock sensors. You need to test for battery voltage from terminal 1 to 3 of the large round connectors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, What time will you be available which terminal an how do you test it there is two round plugs and one smaller one.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, you have two large round terminals on the EZL. Disconnect both and test from terminal 1 to 3 in each connector with the key on and see if you have battery voltage at one of the connectors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from the top down left side plug 3 6 78 all have 12v on right only#7
o3678 o r 7
o
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Are you using a test light or a voltmeter for your test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
voltmeter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats next? Im waiting for brake parts on a 2005 500sl with a p0456 small evap code any common issues gas cap or purge valve I don't have a smoke machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marty whats a good time to do this? 300sl issue I have t get it running asap
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty busy in the shop trying to get cars out for the long weekend and then I'll be away Friday through Sunday. I'll help you as much as I can today.
Do you have battery voltage on the positive ignition coil terminal with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes both terminals
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, previously you said you were not getting voltage to the EZL. Do you think you may have been testing the wrong terminals before? Do you still have no spark from the coil when cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes no spark from coil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whats next stay with for a few minutes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
If you have power to the coil and to the EZL but no spark from the coil the possible problems are a bad crank position sensor or a bad EZL or a bad coil or a fault with the wiring. Have any of those been replaced already?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced coil and crank sensor ignition switch and the distributor cap rotor plugs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
EZL? that's the only thing left correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where can I find one?(###) ###-####6cyl can you give me a few ideas of what part # ***** for this model
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a test for the unit?? if I had another one here just swap it out
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Yes the EZL is what triggers the coil. I'd locate and install a used EZL. New ones are very expensive. Ebay is a good source for a used EZL. Copy and paste the link below.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X0135458332+.TRS5&_nkw=0135458332+&_sacat=0
Copy and paste the link below for the old and new part numbers.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/7vv0xh6ogcn166o/untitled.PNG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about Mercedes mastertech in florida any good?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I've never used them. I've never seen a company that could rebuild the EZL. I think they just clean up used ones and hope for the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marty is there any other part numbers that will work or only the superceded one(###) ###-####
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
All of the numbers I gave you would work. The newest number is ***** 545 04 32.