MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

Mercedes benz s430: i have a 2000 Mercedes s430 that will not

Customer Question

i have a 2000 Mercedes s430 that will not start at all, doesn't crank or make any noise. the battery is fully charged. to top it off it had an existing hydraulic issue that every 2 days it will bottom out. now I can't get it towed because of how low it sits and I cant start the car to activate the hydraulic pump to raise vehicle. All I need to to get it started then work on the other issue
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome!
I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry.
Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

did you try using a spare key (if available)?
did you try putting the transmission lever on N (neutral)?
did you check for any blown fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

checked all the fuses and none seem to be blown,

I can't seem to move the shifter into any position I guess because there's no power, and my spare key does not fit anywhere but the car door

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Cam,

With ignition on, brake pedal depressed, you are unable to move the shifter lever?
do you have ignition lights on, with key in ignition? (or no power at all)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

with ignition on brake pedal depressed I am NOT able to move the shifter levelwith the ignition key on I have no power at all

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Did you try another battery, or at least hooking jumper cables from another battery, to the existing one?
is the central locking (remote function) working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hope to pay battery charger to my existing battery and still doesn't work

what is a central locking remote?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
So this is most likely a drained battery.

I would first try hooking a known good battery to the existing one, or to the jumper connectors in engine bay (whichever is easier for you).

PS: central locking remote, is when you use the key fob to lock or unlock from a distance (which obviously is not working).

Get back to me with your findings, so we proceed accordingly.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry my last message did not come through properly I hooked up a battery charger to my already fully charged battery and it didn't work, and my car remote works properly the only function it has Is to openand shut the door and to pop the trunk

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Cam,

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience. I got caught up with another german dilemma in my shop.

This last message you sent changes direction. So we are sure that the battery is good, and there's power.

The problem now, is that the ignition switch is not operating properly, as long as:
- the fuses are good (i would double check)
- you have no lights on the instrument cluster when you turn ignition on (the instrument cluster stays off)

Kindly get back to me on these, so we continue our diagnostics properly, to pinpoint the problem. As parts on these vehicles are not cheap, the last thing we want is throwing parts at random.

Regards,
Billy