Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My key stuck in ignition and turns but sometimes want start

Customer Question

my key stuck in ignition and turns but sometimes want start car and key want come out 99 320ml
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** don't know what your question is. What can I help you with in regards ***** ***** key?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My key is stuck in ignition want come out and when try and start car sometimes want engage starter key want come out
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if the key will not come out of the ignition there may be a fault with the cable that leads from the ignition switch to the gearshift. If the gearshift is not all the way in park the key won't release from the ignition or if there is a problem with the cable from the shifter to the ignition switch the key will not release. You can try putting the car in drive and then firmly moving the shifter into park then try turning off the car and see if the key will release. If you have no luck the cable and the ignition switch and lock cylinder will need to be checked. If the starter does not engage at times it could be related to the problem or you may simply have a problem with the starter itself.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just now when I turned key it started fine and then when I shut it off key want come out and when I try and restart it it want engage starter seems fine
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok. It sounds like there may be a problem with the ignition switch and steering lock assembly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this something I can buy on line and install myself
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
If you are mechanically inclined you could probably do this yourself. The steering lock is part number 163 462 00 30 and the ignition switch is part number 168 545 10 04. I'm unable to post the workshop instructions here but I can send the instructions for replacing the steering lock to your email for a small additional service fee. I've sent the additional service agreement if you would like the instructions.