Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

GLK350: my amber engine light is on, I just had the front break

Customer Question

my amber engine light is on, I just had the front break pads replaced, is there a special switch to let the car know they were changed? I did check the gas cap, it was fine. I took it to a reputable car parts store where they put a computer tester on and it said something about the thermostat and I wonder if that is the problem, but it doesn't seem to be unusual. Any answers?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** the brake pads cannot cause the engine light to turn on. If the parts store scanned the car and found a thermostat fault code the engine thermostat will need to be replaced. The fault codes is stored if the thermostat fails to heat up the car quickly enough. The car will still run at normal temperature it just doesn't got to operating temperature fast enough. When this happens it causes excessive emissions during the warm up phase which causes the check engine light to come on.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty