Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

E320: In April I purchased a MB 2003 E320. The heat wouldn't

Customer Question

In April I purchased a MB 2003 E320. The heat wouldn’t come on and was only blowing cold air, so I took it to a local service station.
They checked for stored codes and found (exactly as written): 9100A (component connected to the a/c bus short, (9026/A32n1 blower regulator), 9026/component M16/32 (heater exchanger shut off motor) or the lead has short circuit and 9027/component M16/32 (heat exchanger shut off motor) faulty or lead has short circuit found in memory. Perform pinpoint tests and found defective heater control valve. Remove cowl panel and replace heater control valve. Refill cooling system and operate engine to operating temperature. Test heater operation to verify proper operation.
They replaced the heater control valve and added coolant. The bill was $634.58. Labor $440 and Parts $153.00.
The car was only short distance locally a twice a week. The first time I tried to turn on the air conditioning it didn’t work (blows warm air). I took back to the shop today, and they are going to test if it needs freon and check for a leak. That will cost around $210.
I’m concerned that they didn’t fix it right the first time and I’m throwing money at the problem. Can you advise? I’m unemployed right now, so money is very tight.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. I have done a lot of these heat shutoff motors , and when you do them you do actually touch anything that has to do with the ac. BUT if the heater part they replaced had failed it could do the opposite that it did the first time , so when the first time it failed it would not allow heat to pass , now it could have failed to not stop the heat and the heat is overtaking the ac. But to determine that you would have to start the car and right away put the ac on and see if it works and as the car would warm up the ac would get warmer and warmer. So that would be the only thing, other than that there's nothing they could have done to affect the ac. The car is now 12 years old and the ac charge doesn't last forever it will periodically need recharging. So for what that's worth, Hope this information helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
Was there anything else I could assist with ? Did you get a reply from the shop ?