Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

E420: I have a code P0170 Right self adaptation AT limit

Customer Question

I have a code P0170 Right self adaptation
AT limit (n3/12) what is this mean?
Mercedes 1997 e420
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. The ECM has reached the maximum amount to add fuel to compensate for added air. What have you done to check for a air leak ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I spray the starter fluid on all vacum hoses and around the intake manifold gasket and the engine idle do not increase and stay stable.

I assume there is no vacum air leak

ok, if that is the case, then the issue is a faulty mass air flow sensor, the air flow senor can fail and make the computer think there is more air coming into the engine that actaully is. also make sure you do not have a exhaust leak near the oxygen sensors or it will also trick the computer into thinking there is too much air in the system. the mass air flow sensor is right in the center of the engine. easy to replace. make sure the lines going down to the throttle body are also not cracked or leaking air. it should only be one big line but they are prone to becoming very hard and cracking. hope this helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉

Keep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou.
I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.