Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Sl320: I am changing out the leaky cylinders 1996 sl

Customer Question

I am changing out the leaky cylinders for my 1996 sl 320 all the warning lights are on and the cluster (speedometer, tachometer etc.) are not working also turn signals horn all are not working. I am in the middle of it but didnt think all this would be useless because of this.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cylinders for the convertible top
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** you still need help with this problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can you explain what is going on? What do you have apart?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The top cylinder which locks the hard top and the cylinder behind passenger seat which lifts soft top. When O open the drivers door the warning lights go off but when I close the door they all come back on. Drives fine, but turn signals, speedometer, tach, and hoen don't work, and they did before I started also the battery seems to need charging, don't know if thats related?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the first thing I would do is to check for any disconnected ground wires. Ground wires are the brown wires in the wire harness. Next I would check all of the fuses in the front and back fuse box. I would also check the fuses in the base module located in the module compartment at the passenger side rear of the engine compartment. I'd especially check the wires and the fuses at the rear fuse box since you are working in that area.
Let me know what you find.
Marty