Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

E320: ETS light just came on while driving on dry roads, tires

Customer Question

ETS light just came on while driving on dry roads, tires have tread. 1997 E320 w 94K miles, well cared for.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** the ETS light comes on and stays on it indicates a fault with one of the sensors for the ETS system or a fault with the power supply to the system. The problem could be a bad wheel speed sensor or a bad brake light switch or there could be a fault with the K40 relay or fuse in the relay that powers the control module or the module itself could be faulty. There are quite a few possibilities. The best thing to do is to get the car connected to a Mercedes tester to check for fault codes in the system. Fuse #1 in the K40 relay located in the passenger side module box under the hood powers the traction control module. That fuse should be checked and be tested to be sure there is power to the fuse with the key on.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty