Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a 1993 Mercedes SL500…the car starts up right away,

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Mercedes SL500
the car starts up right away, then i run an errand and come back to the car and it doesn’t start. The engine cranks and cranks, turning over, back firing and sputtering, but will not start. Sometimes I get lucky, it starts, but it will die if I don’t keep it at high RPMs for quite a while.
If all else fails, I sit there for 30-45 mins, it then starts right up no problem.
= I replaced the crank position sensor (sensor only, not the entire wire harness that some sell with it.). This did not fix the problem… same symptoms. I read a note about the fuel pressure regulator might be the issue… but again it starts and runs great unless I turn it off and try to restart it.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you haven't had the fault codes checked at all this should be done first.If any codes are set they will need diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.
I have seen the fuel pump check valve cause issues needing replaced as well as the EZL (ignition control module) which is very common to fail needing replaced.The fault codes being checked will help isolate the cause here for repair.If you can get these checked and post them here this will help.
Thanks Pete