Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

S430: Marty, you have help me with a few things on my 2001

Customer Question

Marty, you have help me with a few things on my 2001 s-430. the car has over 275k miles on it. I took it in for a oil change a month ago. it started when I would go down hill and take my foot off the pedal, it would start ticking rattling like something was loose. now its doing it when I start the car and while driving. I jacked the car up to see if I could see if there was anything loose but it was nothing. it sounds like its coming from under the drivers side sit.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, it sounds like the catalytic converter on the driver's side is rattling. This is very common on this model. You can use a rubber mallet to bang on the outside of the converter and most likely you will hear the rattling noise. The catalyst element in the converter begins to break up and will rattle like rocks in a tin can.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! Is this a shop repair or can i do it..

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
This should be a shop repair.